Monday, September 14, 2009

You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone


I remember this song called Big Yellow Taxi originally by Joni Mitchell in 1970 but covered by the rock band, Counting Crows in 2002. This particular song has the lyrics "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone", and I think that it is very apt for what I am about to tell you. If you are on the group-calling plan with Phillip, then you probably have received his latest email. Phillip has decided to disband the group-calling plan, effective October 15 because some users have been late with payments or have been making negative comments and he thinks that it is no longer worth his while to maintain the account.

My question is, why would anyone burden Phillip by paying your bills late or even worse bad mouthing him? No one was forced to join up and you could leave any time. The billing was transparent and Phillip has maintained that he did not take any profits (and actually had to use his own money to cover for late-payers), so what is the problem? Did not our religion teach us to repay debts and to not bad mouth each other? Now we have lost an important convenience and I don't blame Phillip for making this decision. For those of you who have caused this conundrum, please repay what ever amount that you owed ASAP. If you have bad mouthed him, then maybe you should seek forgiveness since Raya is only a few days away. I remember what my Ustaz told me when I was at religious school. He said that Allah will forgive all of our sins, even major ones except those that involves us wronging a fellow human being. In the latter case, we must ask the person for forgiveness ourselves.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Salam and hello. I have created this blog to post my personal views. Some of you may know me as the creator of Waikatomalaysians.wordpress.com. I have been maintaining that blog for I think more than 2 years now and it has grown beyond the original personal website that I have started. That blog has taken a life of its own and after some discussion with some of the community members, I feel it is best if I create a new blog where I can freely express my personal views. This is to differentiate my own views than that of the rest of the community. I will start to migrate most of the recent "personal view-articles" from the Waikatomalaysians blog to this blog. I will still maintain the Waikatomalaysians blog until I leave NZ, after which it will be passed on to someone else. This I feel, is the best way forward.

I have chosen the name Roket Botol (bottle rocket) for this blog because of my, uh, "experience" with this type of fireworks, as the scars on my hands prove. I have had great fun with rocket fireworks when I was a kid, though on hind sight, I was lucky to make it alive. This blog will be more of a personal one, with a more casual tone of voice than the Waikatomalaysians blog. It will also occasionally be more controversial. I would like to keep people to still visit the Waikatomalaysians blog and not turn off anyone by my personal views. This blog is currently under construction and I will experiment with the layout for a while. So, thank you for visiting, and you are always welcome to comment.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP