Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More Things That (Some) Indonesians Should Claim as Theirs


Some deluded Indonesians (not all, Indonesia has 230 million people, and I refuse to believe that all of them are deluded) has laid claim to many of our shared traditions, folk songs, even our Malaysian national anthem. Of course, this makes as much sense as an older brother suing his younger siblings for having the same genes for black hair and brown skin. Never mind that we share the same ancestry, languages and dialects, cultures and history. No, it has to be theirs, and theirs alone. Admittedly, the Bali dance was mistakenly included (not by Malaysians, but by the Discovery Channel), but the Indonesians have been raising stink over stupid things such as the Rasa Sayang and Terang Bulan songs.

If they stopped and thought about it, those Bali dances has Indian and Hindu influences. Should people in India therefore burn Indonesian flags and chant "Ganyang Indonesia!"? What about the many words in Bahasa Indonesia that are borrowed from the Dutch? And what is with the "Ganyang Malaysia" slogan anyway? The last time it was used, the Indonesians got their buttocks handed back to them by Malaysian and Commonwealth forces during the Konfrontasi. You would have thought that they would have come up with a new slogan by now. So, without further ado, I present to you a list of More Things That (Some)  Indonesians Should Claim as Theirs (TM).

  1. Eating rice
  2. Eating said rice with your right hand
  3. Having brown skin, black wavy hair
  4. Washing with your left hand after going to the toilet
  5. Taking your shoes off before going into people's houses
  6. Duduk bersila
  7. Bersalam
  8. Any phrases that begins with "selamat...", heck, just claim the whole language
  9. Baju batik, kain batik, kain sarong, songkok and anything that any Indonesians happens to wear today
  10. Everything else so that they can feel superior to our inferior copycat Malaysians.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Salam and hello. I have created this blog to post my personal views. Some of you may know me as the creator of Waikatomalaysians.wordpress.com. I have been maintaining that blog for I think more than 2 years now and it has grown beyond the original personal website that I have started. That blog has taken a life of its own and after some discussion with some of the community members, I feel it is best if I create a new blog where I can freely express my personal views. This is to differentiate my own views than that of the rest of the community. I will start to migrate most of the recent "personal view-articles" from the Waikatomalaysians blog to this blog. I will still maintain the Waikatomalaysians blog until I leave NZ, after which it will be passed on to someone else. This I feel, is the best way forward.

I have chosen the name Roket Botol (bottle rocket) for this blog because of my, uh, "experience" with this type of fireworks, as the scars on my hands prove. I have had great fun with rocket fireworks when I was a kid, though on hind sight, I was lucky to make it alive. This blog will be more of a personal one, with a more casual tone of voice than the Waikatomalaysians blog. It will also occasionally be more controversial. I would like to keep people to still visit the Waikatomalaysians blog and not turn off anyone by my personal views. This blog is currently under construction and I will experiment with the layout for a while. So, thank you for visiting, and you are always welcome to comment.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP