Monday, September 28, 2009

How to "Enhance" Your Marriage With a Special Device


No, it's not that kind of article. Wipe your mind clean with soap, thank you. I'm talking about the savior of many a marital relationship, that bringer of the olive branch and winner of the Nobel (Marital) Peace Prize. I present to you, the GPS Automotive Navigation System, specifically this Navman MY30 that I bought a few months back.

Despite being able to memorise the names of hundreds of bacteria and viruses, I am what is termed a "spatially challenged person" meaning that I frequently lose my way and couldn't find my way out of a wet paper bag. I must have bad short term memory as I am not able to remember the intersection that I have just drove through an hour ago. As God has deigned it, I married my wife who despite taking SPM-level Geography, couldn't read a map. Naturally, as you can imagine, this is a cause of some unhappiness between us. A typical driving trip would involve me sorting through paper maps and Google maps, manually drawing out the route on a piece of paper (to reduce confusion), giving it to my wife to navigate, and more than 50% of the time still getting lost. We will then get into arguments about who to blame and spend the rest of trip in angry silence.

This state of affairs continued until I made an impulse decision to buy a GPS navigation device when renting a van for the trip to Mahia with my parents. Originally, I wanted to rent the device but the rental company ran out. I don't want to end up having arguments with my wife in front of my parents, so a quick run across the road to Dick Smiths and NZD 270.00 later, I was the proud owner of a brand new Navman MY30 GPS device. It was one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life.

Immediately, my wife and I noticed that we stopped bickering while in the car. This is helped by the Navman having as default, a soothing (though Aussie) female voice that gives out directions. Going to unfamiliar addresses now is a breeze. Just type in the address and away we go. And if we sometimes do still lose our way, then my wife and I could unite in our condemnation of the Navman, instead of blaming each other. While on the Mahia trip, I lost count of the many poorly marked intersections that we could have potentially gotten lost into, had we not have the Navman. Due to poor planning on my part, by the time we reached the mountainous region near the coast, it was already dark and the road ahead was pitch black. The Navman was literally a lifesaver as I could anticipate and slow down before the many hair raising hair-pin bends along the route because they are shown on the LCD display.

So, if you value your relationship with your spouse, take my word for it. Get yourself one of these GPS navigation devices. I haven't tried the other brands, but the Navman MY30 works fine for me. Sure it costs a couple hundred bucks, but in the long run, it will save you in bills for your high blood pressure medication and God forbid, lawyer fees.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Salam and hello. I have created this blog to post my personal views. Some of you may know me as the creator of Waikatomalaysians.wordpress.com. I have been maintaining that blog for I think more than 2 years now and it has grown beyond the original personal website that I have started. That blog has taken a life of its own and after some discussion with some of the community members, I feel it is best if I create a new blog where I can freely express my personal views. This is to differentiate my own views than that of the rest of the community. I will start to migrate most of the recent "personal view-articles" from the Waikatomalaysians blog to this blog. I will still maintain the Waikatomalaysians blog until I leave NZ, after which it will be passed on to someone else. This I feel, is the best way forward.

I have chosen the name Roket Botol (bottle rocket) for this blog because of my, uh, "experience" with this type of fireworks, as the scars on my hands prove. I have had great fun with rocket fireworks when I was a kid, though on hind sight, I was lucky to make it alive. This blog will be more of a personal one, with a more casual tone of voice than the Waikatomalaysians blog. It will also occasionally be more controversial. I would like to keep people to still visit the Waikatomalaysians blog and not turn off anyone by my personal views. This blog is currently under construction and I will experiment with the layout for a while. So, thank you for visiting, and you are always welcome to comment.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP